December 20, 2010
And the #1 WORD OF THE YEAR is... austerity
According to the language reference publisher, "austerity figured prominently in news coverage of the economic panic and protests triggered by the debt crisis in Greece."
TOP TEN WORDS OF 2010
1) austerity: enforced or extreme economy
2) pragmatic: practical as opposed to idealistic
3) moratorium: a waiting period set by an authority
4) socialism: any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
5) bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially one who regards or treats the members of a racial or ethnic group with hatred and intolerance
6) doppelganger: a ghostly counterpart of a living person
7) shellacking: a decisive defeat
8) ebullient: having or showing liveliness and enthusiasm
9) dissident: disagreeing especially with an established religious or political system, organization, or belief
10) furtive: sly, done by stealth
|ShareThis | Posted December 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM|
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.